Eliminate fatalities, serious injuries and occupational disease
- Contribute to the elimination of fatalities and serious injuries through significantly enhanced critical control verification for fatal hazards.
- By 2025, contribute to the elimination of occupational disease by implementing new technologies in real-time exposure monitoring to improve exposure controls for dust and welding fumes.
For more information on our work towards achieving goals in this strategic theme, see the Health and Safety page.
We recognize the important role we play in the shift to a low-carbon economy and have established a strategy with short- and long-term goals for reducing emissions, with the ultimate goal of being carbon-neutral by 2050.
Operational (Scope 1 and 2) GHG emissions goals:
Achieve net-zero GHG emissions across operations by 2050
Achieve net-zero Scope 2 GHG emissions by 2025
Accelerate the adoption of zero-emissions alternatives for transportation by replacing the equivalent of 1,000 internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles by 2025 in our mobile equipment fleets
Reduce the carbon intensity of our operations by 33% by 2030
Value chain (Scope 3) GHG emissions goals:
Ambition to achieve net-zero Scope 3 GHG emissions by 2050
Support partners in advancing GHG reduction solutions capable of reducing the global carbon intensity of steelmaking 30% by 2030
Partner with customers and transportation providers to establish low-emission supply chain corridors for the transportation of our products and support a 40% reduction in shipping emission intensity by 2030 for shipping we contract
For more information on our work towards achieving goals in this strategic theme, see the Climate Change page.
Continue to manage our tailings across their life cycle in a safe and environmentally responsible way
- Preferentially consider milling and tailings technologies that use less water for both new mines and any mine life extensions at existing mines.
- Expand the use of digitally connected surveillance technologies to assist in monitoring our tailings storage facilities.
For more information on our work towards achieving goals in this strategic theme, see the Tailings Management page.
Foster a workplace where everyone is included, valued and equipped for today and the future
- Increase the percentage of women working at Teck – including women in leadership positions – and advance inclusion and diversity initiatives across the company by 2025.
- Equip our employees for future workplace and leadership needs, including upskilling and reskilling, by investing $200 million in training and skills development programs by 2025.
- Expand employee engagement opportunities, including employee-driven community initiatives and a company-wide feedback program, by 2025.
For more information on our work towards achieving goals in this strategic theme, see the Our People page.
- Be a leader in responsibly providing the metals and minerals needed for the transition to an economy focused on reducing waste and keeping products in use
- Work towards disposing zero industrial waste by 2040
- By 2025, establish site-based industrial waste inventories and plans to turn waste into useful and appropriate products. Based on these inventories and plans, set goals for industrial waste reduction.
- By 2025, develop and implement a responsible producer program and "product passport" that is traceable through the value chain.
- Be a leader in product stewardship by continuing to implement our Materials Stewardship program and produce secondary metals at our Trail Operations.
For more information on our work towards achieving goals in this strategic theme, see the Responsible Production page.
Work towards securing a net positive impact on biodiversity
- By 2025, all operating sites have and are implementing plans to secure net positive impact.
For more information on our work towards achieving goals in this strategic theme, see the Biodiversity and Reclamation page.
- Transition to seawater or low-quality water sources for all operations in water-scarce regions by 2040
- Implement innovative water management and water treatment solutions to protect water quality downstream of all our operations
- By 2025, design all development projects in water-scarce regions with a seawater or low-quality water source.
- By 2025, implement new source control or mine design strategies and water treatment systems to further advance efforts to manage water quality at our operations.
For more information on our work towards achieving goals in this strategic theme, see the Water Stewardship page.
Collaborate with communities and Indigenous Peoples to generate economic benefits, advance reconciliation efforts and improve community well-being
- Increase local employment and procurement opportunities by 2025 to deliver direct economic benefits to communities.
- Achieve greater representation of Indigenous Peoples across our business by 2025 by increasing employment and procurement through business development, capacity-building, education and training opportunities.
- Deliver positive social, economic and environmental outcomes for communities and Indigenous Peoples by contributing $100 million to community organizations and global initiatives, including our Zinc & Health and Copper & Health programs, by 2025.
For more information on our work towards achieving goals in this strategic theme, see the Relationships with Communities and Indigenous Peoples page.