Teck recognizes and respects the rights, cultures, interests, and aspirations of Indigenous Peoples, and we are committed to building strong and lasting relationships. We engage with Indigenous Peoples in the communities surrounding our operations and exploration sites to build relationships at the earliest stages of mining and throughout the mining process. We focus on integrating the perspectives of Indigenous Peoples into company decision-making, and creating lasting benefits that respect their unique interests and aspirations. This commitment is formally outlined in our Indigenous Peoples Policy and also aligns with Teck’s core values of integrity and respect. Our Indigenous Peoples Policy sets out our approach to working with Indigenous Peoples to ensure Indigenous rights, cultural heritage and traditional land use are respected, and confirms our goal of working to achieve the free, prior and informed consent of Indigenous Peoples when proposing new or substantially modified projects.
- Teck engages with Indigenous Peoples potentially affected by our activities to:
- Build respectful relationships through early, inclusive dialogue and collaborative processes
- Provide resources to build the capacity of both Indigenous Peoples and Teck to have meaningful dialogue
- Integrate Indigenous Peoples’ perspectives and traditional knowledge into company decision-making throughout the mining life cycle to enhance benefits of our activities and address impacts
- Work to achieve the free, prior and informed consent of Indigenous Peoples when proposing new or substantially modified projects
- Work with Indigenous Peoples to achieve self-defined community goals that provide lasting benefits