Teck Logo



Elkview Operations is one of our four steelmaking coal operations located in the Elk Valley of British Columbia.

About Elkview

Elkview Operations is located approximately three kilometres east of Sparwood in southeastern British Columbia. It is one of our four steelmaking coal operations in the Elk Valley.

Teck has a 95% partnership interest in Elkview. The remaining 5% is indirectly held equally by Nippon Steel & Sumitomo Metal Corporation, a Japanese steel producer, and POSCO, a Korean steel producer, each of which acquired a 2.5% interest in 2005.

Elkview produces steelmaking coal – also called metallurgical coal or coking coal — which is used to make steel. We export the processed coal by sea to the Asia-Pacific region and elsewhere. This involves the shipment of the steelmaking coal from the mine site to bulk port terminals in Vancouver by rail. It is then loaded on to larger seagoing vessels, which carry it to our target markets.

The current annual production capacities of the mine and preparation plant (on a 100% basis) are approximately 7.0 million and 7.0 million tonnes of clean coal, respectively. Proven and probable reserves at Elkview are projected to support mining at planned production rates for a further 38 years.

Baldy Ridge Extension Annual Progress Online Update

Sparwood community members are invited to an online public meeting to learn more about progress of the Baldy Ridge Extension at Teck’s Elkview Operations on June 17, 2020 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

To participate in the online meeting on June 17 at 6:30 p.m. please click this link: https://TeckElkValley.easywebinar.live/live-event-14

For an optimal participant experience, please:

  • View the online meeting from your computer. *Note, high-speed internet is required

  • Participate in the Q&A portion with your cell phone or easily accessible alternate browser tab.

We understand that you may not have access to two digital devices at once. If you have specific question regarding the Baldy Ridge Extension Annual Progress Online Update, please email feedbackteckcoal@teck.com.

Can’t attend the Baldy Ridge Extension Annual Progress Online Update?

Please email feedbackteckcoal@teck.com.

Coal Business Unit Operating Results

($ in millions)








Gross Profit before depreciation and amortization(1)(2)




Gross Profit




Production (million tonnes)




Sales (million tonnes)




(1) Non-GAAP Financial Measure. See “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures” section for further information.
(2) See “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures” section for reconciliation.  

Dust Management in the Elk Valley

Dust Management in the Elk Valley
We take extensive measures to monitor and manage dust at our operations and are working to identify new methods to improve dust management and air quality.
Read More

Elkview Operations

R.R. #1, Highway #3
Sparwood, B.C. Canada V0B 2G1
t: 250.425.8325
f: 250.425.8763

View All Contacts

Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.