Location: Red Dog Operations, Alaska, U.S.A.
Date Posted: April 07, 2017
Closing Date: June 02, 2017
Teck Alaska Incorporated, Red Dog Operations, one of the world's largest producers of zinc concentrate, is recruiting for a Heavy Duty Mechanic VI. Due to anticipated needs, we are currently recruiting for career oriented individuals to fill this role.
Red Dog Mine, located in Northwest Alaska, is a large, technically challenging open pit mine, mill and port facility. It is a remote, but modern and well-equipped fly-in fly-out operation that provides free room and board for employees, and regular transportation to and from Anchorage and surrounding regional villages.
Rotation schedule will be two weeks onsite and one week offsite OR four weeks onsite and two weeks offsite.
Reporting to the Mine Maintenance Supervisor, the Heavy Duty Mechanic VI is responsible for
Installing, maintaining, dismantling and overhauling heavy mobile equipment. Additional responsibilities include troubleshooting, rebuilding and replacing parts. Mechanics are required to have a basic understanding of all electrical, hydraulic, engine and power train systems as well as air compressors and brake systems.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Inspect and examine mobile equipment to detect and find irregularities and malfunctions; install, troubleshoot and maintain power transmission, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and braking systems
- Diagnose, dismantle, assemble, and align mobile equipment including dozers, graders, haulage trucks and loaders
- Complete routine tasks such as lubrication of fleet equipment, seal replacement, cleaning of parts during an overhaul and preventative maintenance
- Interact with a variety of employees on the property such as operators, engineering, trades and operating supervision on methods, procedures and hazards in order to coordinate the services of other trades and service personnel in the planning of their portion of the job; prioritizing work on a daily basis utilizing the Maintenance Order System; estimating material costs and labor hours on jobs and troubleshooting equipment
- Complete preventative maintenance on fleet vehicles
- Complete and provide accurate work closure details which are recorded on work order
- Ensure all tools are maintained and kept in a clean and orderly condition
- Serve as relief Maintenance Supervisor when required
- Communicate effectively with other trade personnel, colleague and supervisor about assigned tasks and ensuring carryover and updates of completed tasks throughout the shift
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of environmental risks and hazards as well as comply with safety policies and procedures (MSHA and Red Dog Environmental Management Systems training) and ensure daily workplace inspections are done in order to accurately identify and correct workplace hazards
- Ensure compliance with all established policies and standard operating procedures and advises coworkers and visitors of such policies and procedures as required
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
- Must be a Journeyperson Heavy Duty Mechanic or have 10 or more years’ or proven experience in heavy industrial maintenance environment which includes diagnosing, dismantling, assembling, and aligning heavy mobile equipment
- Basic computer skills’ including proficiency with Microsoft office applications is required
- Must have the ability to adhere to high safety standards
- Must be able to work day, afternoon, or night shifts as required
- Must be a team player and able to communicate well with others
- Must be highly motivated and have ability to perform tasks with limited direction
- Must be able to work outdoors with a potential exposure to extreme climatic conditions
- Must be able to perform labor intensive work when required
- Ability to obtain a valid Alaska driver license is desirable
Red Dog is a drug/alcohol free work place and provides competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits program. Employment is conditional upon passing a background check, medical examination and drug/alcohol tests.