Teck Alaska Incorporated, Red Dog Operations, one of the world's largest producers of zinc concentrate, is recruiting for a Senior Metallurgical Engineer. Due to anticipated needs, we are currently recruiting for a career oriented individual to fill this role.
Red Dog Mine, located in Northwest Alaska, is a large, technically challenging open pit mine, mill and port facility. It is a remote, but modern and well-equipped fly-in fly-out operation that provides free room and board for employees, and regular transportation to and from Anchorage and surrounding regional villages.
Rotation schedule will be two weeks onsite and one week offsite OR four weeks onsite and two weeks off site.
The Red Dog concentrator has a complex multi-sulfide flotation circuit with some of the latest flotation and regrinding technologies. Reporting to the Chief Metallurgist, the Senior Metallurgist is accountable for providing technical direction to the Mill Technical group and Assay Laboratory in a safe and efficient manner consistent with optimizing metallurgical performance, production and financial objectives of the Red Dog concentrator. In collaboration with the Chief Metallurgist, this position provides support and services to the Mill, Mine, Port and Environmental departments.
· Be a courageous safety leader, adhering to and sponsoring safety and environmental rules and Procedures
· Optimize existing milling processes by evaluating and implementing process development projects, as well as daily monitoring, sampling, and testing programs
· Complete assigned work in a professional manner, including necessary measurements, calculations, analyses, interpretations, reporting and recommendations
· Communicate effectively with operating, analytical and maintenance groups to ensure optimum utilization of resources
· Improve metallurgical plant processes and procedures by evaluating new technology and recommending implementation where cost effective
· Assist in the development of other metallurgical engineers, technicians, and operators
· Assume the role of Chief Metallurgist in his/her absence
· Perform other related duties as require
· Bachelor of Science/Engineering degree (Metallurgical, Mineral Processing or related field) is required
· A minimum of 10 years industrial mill experience or equivalent
· Must be proficient in MS Office Suite and Windows environment and able to thrive in a fast-paced setting with advanced abilities in MS Excel
· Production experience in a mill with flotation would be considered a significant asset
· Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
· Capable of working with all levels of the organization and in a team environment
· Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to articulate ideas and communicate needs in a concise manner
· Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize and execute multiple tasks
Red Dog is a drug/alcohol free work place and provides competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits program. Employment is conditional upon passing a background check, medical examination and drug/alcohol tests.
Excellent benefits including: medical, dental, life, AD&D and long term disability insurance, generous paid time off, paid sick leave and 401k. Compensation will be dependent on experience but the work schedule makes the remuneration package very attractive.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TCK.A and TCK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TCK. Teck has been named to the 2014 Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the fifth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies. Further information about Teck can be found at www.teck.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.