Location: Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.
Date Posted: April 29, 2017
Closing Date: May 27, 2017
Teck Alaska Incorporated, Red Dog Operations, one of the world's largest producers of zinc concentrate, is recruiting for a Senior Government & Public Relations Coordinator. Due to anticipated needs, we are currently recruiting for a career oriented individual to fill this role.
Red Dog Mine, located in Northwest Alaska, is a large, technically challenging open pit mine, mill and port facility. It is a remote, but modern and well-equipped fly-in fly-out operation that provides room and board for employees, and regular transportation to and from Anchorage and surrounding regional villages.
This position is based in Teck Alaska’s Anchorage office, with a 5-day per week work schedule.
Reporting to the Superintendent, Environmental and Community Relations, the Senior Government & Public Relations Coordinator will plan and implement government relations activities of the company, focusing on collaboratively advancing a comprehensive and integrated set of strategies supporting Teck Alaska's objectives related to government legislation, policies, and regulatory matters. Additionally, the incumbent will at times be required to provide timely responses to media questions related to Red Dog Operations (RDO) and activities to maintain favorable public relations and perceptions of Red Dog Operations and Teck Alaska.
- Develops and manages RDO government relations strategies and issues management
- Monitors and analyses emerging and current socio-political issues relative to their potential impact on RDO; and advises on these developments and communicates the company’s position to appropriate government representatives and interest groups
- Works closely with the company’s lobbyists to provide support on political issues and must be able to influence special interest groups on legislative and public policy issues as they relate to the company
- Manages compliance with all applicable rules and regulations in relation to government Affairs activities (e.g. lobbyist registries)
- Participates in media relations and oversees public presentations in respect to Red Dog’s key public messaging
- Acts as a primary point of contact with NANA Regional Corporation in respect to government related matters
- Works and collaborates with staff of NANA on political concerns and public relations strategies to maintain favorable public perceptions of Red Dog Operations
- Develops a broad stakeholder and government agency network with a focus on relationship management and positive collaborations that enhance the company’s reputation and ability to conduct its affairs
- Provides written and oral comments concerning pertinent legislative developments on Teck Alaska’s behalf. Supports lobby efforts and interacts with elected officials
- Develops media materials and is a main point of contact for media and press efforts
- Collaboratively engages with RDO and Teck’s Sustainability and External Affairs leads on advocacy and strategies designed to influence state and federal regulations and policy including developing strategies to achieve broader stakeholder support
- Represent Teck professionally in meetings with regulatory officials
- Liaise and work closely with Teck corporate staff and Teck America staff on relevant US federal government matters
- Represents the company’s position in various member associations’ committees, task forces and working groups including the Alaska
- Miner’s Association, Council of Alaska Producers, and the Resource Development Council
- Supports the Superintendent, Environment and Community Relations in budget development for the Government and Public Relations function
Entry Level Criteria
- Minimum ten years’ demonstrated experience in roles of progressively increasing responsibility in the field of government, government affairs, or corporate communications preferably in the mining industry or the resource industry in a state, national and/or international role
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Business, or Communications. Master’s Degree preferred
Professional and Technical Competencies
- Excellent understanding of political and legislative processes, including policy development in Canada, the United States, and other international jurisdictions
- Ability to develop, and execute senior level, results-oriented government relations plans and/or programs
- Ability to set and manage multiple priorities based on relative importance and urgency
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) and cultivate strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent research, writing and presentation skills
- Understanding of social media tools and their impact on communications
- Strong analytical capabilities and close attention to detail
- Ensures quality control for own product
- Strong demonstrable computer skills, in particular with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
General and Fiscal
- A team player and leader who brings creativity, enthusiasm and a strategic outlook
- Ability to handle difficult and challenging assignments
- Contributes to establishing the strategic sustainability and external affairs direction of the company by participating in the Community and Government Affairs strategic and business planning process
- Exemplifies the company’s core values of safety, integrity, excellence, discipline, commitment, teamwork, innovation and respect
Red Dog is a drug/alcohol free work place and provides competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits program. Employment is conditional upon passing a background check, medical examination and drug/alcohol tests.