Location: Red Dog Operations, Alaska, U.S.A.
Date Posted: March 09, 2017
Closing Date: April 08, 2017
Teck Alaska Incorporated, Red Dog Operations, one of the world's largest producers of zinc concentrate, is recruiting for an Assay Lab Chemist/Trainer. Due to anticipated needs, we are currently recruiting for a career oriented individual to fill this role.
Red Dog Mine, located in Northwest Alaska, is a large, technically challenging open pit mine, mill and port facility. It is a remote, but modern and well-equipped fly-in fly-out operation that provides free room and board for employees, and regular transportation to and from Anchorage and surrounding regional villages.
Reporting to the Assay Lab Supervisor the Chemist/Trainer will demonstrate the skills required for safe and efficient performance of the duties assigned.
Rotation schedule will be two weeks onsite and one week offsite OR four weeks onsite and two weeks offsite.
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhering to and sponsoring safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Provide technical support to the assay laboratory
- Develop and oversee the quality assurance and quality control programs
- Develop new analytical methods as required
- Perform quality control statistical analysis
- Prepare Standard Operating Procedures and confirm their application in analytical procedures throughout the laboratory
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related field (e.g. Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Metallurgy) is a requirement
- Additional specialized education including a post-graduate degree is preferred
- A proven record of personal safety performance and leadership
- Having at least five (5) years of experience in an analytical laboratory; including experience in spectroscopic and traditional chemical analysis is a requirement
- Experience with X-Ray fluorescence spectroscopy is a distinct advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to articulate ideas and communicate needs in a concise manner
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize and execute multiple concurrent tasks
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TCK.A and TCK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TCK. Further information about Teck can be found at www.teck.com.