Teck Alaska Incorporated, Red Dog Operations, one of the world's largest producers of zinc concentrate, is recruiting for a temporary HE Mechanic/Tireman. Due to anticipated needs, we are currently recruiting for a career oriented individual to fill this role.
Red Dog Mine, located in Northwest Alaska, is a large, technically challenging open pit mine, mill and port facility. It is a remote, but modern and well-equipped fly-in fly-out operation that provides free room and board for employees, and regular transportation to and from Anchorage and surrounding regional villages.
Rotation schedule will be two weeks onsite and one week offsite or four weeks onsite and two weeks offsite.
Reporting to the Mine Maintenance Supervisor, the HE Mechanic/Tireman is responsible for repairing and installing all tires for the mine mobile equipment up to and including 777 haul trucks and 996 loaders.
· Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
· Perform all necessary tire repairs, dismounts, and mounts of all tires for any equipment on the property including diagnosis and repairs of the fleet for tires, wheels, and rims
· Determine repairable tire conditions and make such repairs; remove tires for retreading or repair; ensure proper inflation of tires to prescribed PSI per load requirements
· Assist with basic, non-mechanical preventative maintenance on fleet vehicles such as oil, fluid and tire changes
· Maintain records to support mine operations forecasting of tire life
· Assist with help with other job duties such as equipment set-up, mechanic helper or general shop clean up tasks such as housekeeping and organization of shop
· Communicate effectively with other operators, colleague and supervisor about assigned tasks and ensuring carryover and updates of completed tasks throughout the shift
· Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of environmental risks and hazards as well as complies with safety policies and procedures (MSHA and Red Dog EMS training) and ensures daily workplace inspections are done in order to accurately identify and correct workplace hazards
· Ensures compliance with all established policies and standard operating procedures and advises coworkers and visitors of such policies and procedures as required
· Perform other related duties as assigned
· Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED equivalent
· Five years’ experience dismounting, mounting and evaluating heavy mining tires
· Five years’ experience inspecting tires and rims and associated components
· Five years’ experience assembling, installing and mounting tire protection chains for large loaders
· One year experience with Bridgestone treadstat tire tracking program
· Certificate of training from the Tire Industry Association
· Ability to operate a tire manipulator for installing and removing and repairing large tires.
· Physically capable of performing labor intensive work when required
· Strong team cooperation is required
· Ability to follow specific tasks assigned
· Must be willing to work dayshift or nightshift
· Possess good communication skills and commitment to safety
Red Dog is a drug/alcohol free work place and provides competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits program. Employment is conditional upon passing a background check, medical examination and drug/alcohol tests.
Excellent benefits including: medical, dental, life, AD&D and long term disability insurance, generous paid time off, paid sick leave and 401k. Compensation will be dependent on experience but the work schedule makes the remuneration package very attractive.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TCK.A and TCK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TCK. Teck has been named to the 2014 Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the fifth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies. Further information about Teck can be found at www.teck.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.