Carmen de Andacollo
Carmen de Andacollo is located in Region IV in central Chile at an elevation of 1,000 metres, approximately 350 kilometres north of Santiago, near the southern limit of the Atacama Desert. The majority of mine personnel live in the town of Andacollo, immediately adjacent to the mine, or in the nearby cities of Coquimbo and La Serena.
Teck owns a 90% interest in the mine. Empresa Nacional de Minera holds the remaining 10%. In 2010, Carmen de Andacollo sold an interest in future gold production to Royal Gold, Inc. equivalent to 75% of payable gold produced until cumulative production reaches 910,000 ounces of gold, and 50% thereafter.
Carmen de Andacollo is an open pit mine which produces copper in concentrates from the hypogene portion of the orebody. Copper cathode production from the supergene portion of the orebody is currently approaching completion.
The mine’s life was recently extended by approximately 20 years with the achievement of commercial production at its new copper concentrator.
Last updated: March 2011